All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe publication of Porty's Complaint in 1969 provoked instant, powerful reactions. It blasted Philip Roth into international fame, subjected him to unrelenting personal scrutiny and conjecture, and shocked legions of readers-some delighted, others appalled. Porty and other main characters became instant archetypes, and Roth himself became a touchstone for conflicting attitudes toward sexual liberation, Jewish power, political correctness, Freudian language, and bourgeois disgust. What about this book inspired Richard Lacayo of Time to describe it as a literary instance of shock and awe, and the Modern Library to list it among the 100 best English-language vels of the twentieth century? Bernard Avishai offers a witty exploration of Roth's satiric masterpiece, based on the prolific velist's own writings, teaching tes, and personal interviews. In addition to discussing the book's timing, rhetorical gambit, and sheer virtuousity, Avishai includes a chapter on the Jewish community's outrage over the book and how Roth survived it, and ather on the author's scorching treatment of psychoanalysis. Avishai shows that Roth's irreverent vel left us questioning who, or what, was the object of the satire. Hilariously, it proved the serious ways we construct fictions about ourselves and others.
- Author BiographyBernard Avishai is adjunct professor of business at Hebrew University and author of three books, most recently, The Hebrew Republic, and dozens of articles for The New Yorker, New York Review of Books, Harper's, Harvard Business Review, and other publications. He divides his time between Jerusalem and Wilmot, NH.
- Author(s)Bernard Avishai
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication04/05/2012
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Weight399 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.69Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $20.46Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.