All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBased on extensive research, this provocative volume explores how schools are places where racial conflicts often remain hidden at the expense of a healthy school climate and the well-being of students of colour. Most schools fail to act on racial micro-aggressions because the stress of negotiating such conflicts is extremely high due to fears of incompetence, public exposure, and accusation. Instead of facing these conflicts head on, schools perpetuate a set of avoidance or coping strategies. The author of this much-needed book uncovers how racial stress undermines student achievement. Students, educators, and social service support staff will find workable strategies to improve their racial literacy skills to read, recast, and resolve racially stressful encounters when they happen.<br><br>Book Features:<br><br><ul><li>A model that applies culturally relevant behavioural stress management strategies to problem-solve racial stress in schools.</li><li>Examples demonstrating workable solutions relevant within predominantly White schools for students, parents, teachers, and administrators.< /li><li>Measurable outcomes and strategies for developing racial literacy skills that can be integrated into the K-12 curriculum and teacher professional development.</li></ul><br><br>Teaching and leadership skills that will create a more tolerant and supportive school environment for all students.
- Author(s)Howard Carlton Stevenson
- PublisherTeachers' College Press
- Date of Publication30/01/2014
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTeachers' College Press
- Weight318 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.99Trending at AU $70.50
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $37.71
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.40
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.22
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $30.99Trending at AU $39.61
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.70
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.