Brand newLOWEST PRICE
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $20.00+ postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by thebooksaver
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $72.53
- AU $92.82Trending at AU $103.78
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.72
- AU $20.99Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $41.02Trending at AU $43.51
- AU $19.73Trending at AU $22.71
- AU $27.95Trending at AU $29.68
About this product
- DescriptionThe Austrian playwright, velist, and poet Thomas Bernhard (1931-89) is ackwledged as one of the major writers of our time. The seven stories in this collection capture Bernhard's distinct darkly comic voice and vision - often compared to Kafka and Musil - commenting on a corrupted world. First published in German in 1967, these stories were written at the same time as Bernhard's early vels Frost , Gargoyles , and The Lime Works , and they display the same obsessions, restlessness, and disarming mastery of language. Martin Chalmers' outstanding translation, which renders the work in English for the first time, captures the essential personality of the writing. The narrators of these stories lack the strength to do anything but listen and then write, the reader in turn becoming a captive listener, deciphering the traps laid by memory - and the mere words, the never-ending words with which we try to pin it down. Words that are always close to driving the narrator crazy, yet, as Bernhard writes, 't completely crazy'.
- Author BiographyThomas Bernhard grew up in Salzburg and Vienna, where he studied music. In 1957 he began a second career as a playwright, poet, and novelist. He went on to win many of the most prestigious literary awards of Europe. Martin Chalmers is a translator and editor whose translations include works by Hubert Fichte, Ernst Weiss, Herta Mueller, Alexander Kluge, Emine Sevgi Oezdamar, and Erich Hackl.
- Author(s)Thomas Bernhard
- PublisherSeagull Books London Ltd
- Date of Publication10/08/2010
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Series TitleSeagull World Literature
- Place of PublicationGreenford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSeagull Books London Ltd
- Weight370 g
- Width136 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Translated byMartin Chalmers
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.