All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSeth Lerer's moving memoir Prospero's Son is rooted in the age-old problem of the fraught relationship between fathers and sons. But at the same time, it is about the power of books and theater, the excitement of stories in a young man's life, and the transformative magic of words and performance. A flamboyantly performative father, a teacher and lifelong actor, comes to terms with his life as a gay man. A bookish boy becomes a professor of literature and an acclaimed expert on the very children's books that set him on his path in the first place. And when that boy grows up, he learns how hard it is to be a father and just how much books can - and cant - instruct him. Throughout these intertwined accounts of changing selves, Lerer returns again and again to stories - the ways they teach us about discovery, deliverance, forgetting, and remembering.
- Author BiographySeth Lerer is dean of arts and humanities at the University of California, San Diego. He is the author of many books, including the National Book Critics Circle Award-winning Children's Literature: A Reader's History, from Aesop to Harry Potter.
- Author(s)Seth Lerer
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication21/03/2014
- SubjectAutobiography: Literary
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight218 g
- Width85 mm
- Height55 mm
- Spine14 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.83
- AU $36.82Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.