All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOn the 500th anniversary of Luther's theses, a landmark history of the revolutionary faith that shaped the modern world. Ryrie writes that his aim 'is to persuade you that we cant understand the modern age without understanding the dynamic history of Protestant Christianity.' To which I reply: Mission accomplished. -Jon Meacham, author of American Lion and Thomas JeffersonFive hundred years ago, an obscure monk challenged the authority of the pope with a radical new vision of what Christianity could be. The revolution he unwittingly set in motion has toppled governments, upended social rms, and transformed millions of people's understanding of their relationship with God. In this dazzling global history charting five centuries of invation and change, Alec Ryrie makes the case that the world we live in was indelibly shaped by Protestants. Protestants introduces us to the men and women who defined this quarrelsome faith. Some turned to their newly accessible Bibles to justify bold acts of political opposition, others to support a new understanding of how they should live. Protestants are conditioned to fight for their beliefs, and if you look at any of the great confrontations of the last five centuries, you will find them defining the debate on both sides: for and against monarchy, colonialism, slavery, fascism, communism, temperance, and war. Protestants are people who love God and take on the world. They have set out for all four corners of the globe, embarking on courageous journeys into the unkwn to establish new communities and experiment with radical new systems of government--like the Puritans, Quakers, and Methodists who made their way to our shores. Protestants created America and defined its special brand of entrepreneurial diligence. And today they are making new converts in China, Korea, Africa, and Latin America. This magisterial book by a brilliant scholars of the Reformation makes the case that whether or t you are yourself a Protestant, you live in a world--and are guided by principles and ideas--shaped by Protestants.
- Author BiographyAlec Ryrie was born in London and grew up in Washington DC. He graduated from Cambridge University with a double First in History and received a doctorate in Theology from Oxford University. He is Professor of the History of Christianity at Durham University and a licensed minister in his local church. An expert on the Reformation in England and Scotland, he is the author of the prizewinning Being Protestant in Reformation Britain and The Sorcerer's Tale: Faith and Fraud in Tudor England and is the co-editor of the Journal of Ecclesiastical History.
- Author(s)Professor of the History of Christianity Alec Ryrie
- Date of Publication04/04/2017
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight771 g
- Width152 mm
- Height239 mm
- Spine43 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.88
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.15
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.66
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.21
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.08
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.20
- AU $30.32Trending at AU $31.91
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.