Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.25
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.80
- AU $34.64Trending at AU $35.22
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.96
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.07
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.11
About this product
- DescriptionPtolemy's comprehensive treatises on astromy and geography were influential for nearly two millennia. Equally influential was his treatise on harmonics, the ancient science which combined and brought to completion the study of philosophy and science. This volume offers a comprehensive English translation and commentary of Ptolemy's Harmonics. The treatise begins with Ptolemy's study of pitches and intervals, for which he extracts both an idealized musical scale and a new acoustical tool. After discussing modulation, he expands his horizons by applying musical intervals to the human soul and celestial bodies, ultimately describing a cosmic harmony. The English translation faithfully reproduces Ptolemy's style and includes all the charts surviving in the manuscript tradition. The commentary offers a full exegesis of the text, loci paralleli, and citations of modern scholarly sources.
- Author BiographyJon Solomon, Ph.D. (1980) in Classics, University of North Carolina, is Professor of Classics at the University of Arizona. He has published extensively on ancient Greek music and its influence in the Renaissance and modern eras.
- Author(s)Jon Solomon
- Date of Publication03/11/1999
- Series TitleMnemosyne, Supplements
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 203
- Place of PublicationLeiden
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight489 g
- Width160 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.