All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThrough an exclusive focus on public policy advocacy as a practical endeavor, Philip Dalton and John R. Butler depart from approaches to debate education that focus on the rules of simulated, academic debate formats. Beginning with the assumption that readers have already developed a basic capacity to argue, they offer practical guidance for determining the fundamental issues that make up a controversy and what expectations public audiences will have for advocacy based on the issues and the burdens of advocates challenging or defending the status quo. Through examples that span a wide range of advocacy situations and subjects of contemporary importance, the authors build a framework for public policy advocacy that is organic to the communication discipline, recover and refresh foundational lessons about the uses of evidence, and provide critical questions that can be used to develop and communicate policy proposals that are sensible and appealing. Written in an accessible, respectful, and motivational style, the book is suitable for students of debate, professionals who function as advocates, and people who find themselves wishing to voice their opinion on an issue of concern.
- Author BiographyPhilip Dalton (PhD, University of Oklahoma) is Associate Professor and Chair in the Department of Rhetoric at Hofstra University. He studies political communication and public discourse and teaches, among other courses, political communication and argumentation and debate. John R. Butler (PhD, University of Pittsburgh) has worked as a debate coach, communication professor, and consultant. He serves as the Director of Communication and Strategy for the Painters District Council No. 30 and its affiliated funds, a labor union located in Aurora, Illinois.
- Author(s)John R. Butler,Philip Dalton
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication30/01/2015
- SubjectBusiness, Accounting & Vocational: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2015
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight280 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.29
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.85
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.95
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.26
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.52
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.