All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is an updated look at the advantages and possibilities of urban agriculture in public spaces. Why plant trees that only provide shade when they could yield fruit as well? Why t take advantage of sunny patches at the outskirts of car parks to grow carrots and strawberries, free for the harvesting? The idea that public land could be used creatively to grow fresh food for local people was beginning to gain traction when Public Produce was first published in 2009, but there were few concrete examples of action. Today, things are different: fruits and vegetables are thriving in parks, along our streets, and around our civic buildings. This revised edition profiles numerous communities and community officials that are rethinking the role of public space in cities, and how our most revered urban gathering spots might urish both body and soul. Taking readers from inspiration to implementation, Public Produce is chock full of tantalising images and hearty lessons for bringing agriculture back into our cities.
- Author BiographyDarrin Nordahl is an award-winning writer on issues of food and city design. He completed his bachelor's degree in landscape architecture at the University of California at Davis and his master's degree in urban design at Cal-Berkeley. From 2006 to 2012, he was the City Designer at the Davenport Design Center, in Davenport, Iowa. He currently lives and writes in Berkeley, California and is the author of Making Transit Fun!, My Kind of Transit, and a forthcoming book on local food traditions in Appalachia.
- Author(s)Darrin Nordahl
- PublisherIsland Press
- Date of Publication07/11/2014
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIsland Press
- Content Note33 photographs
- Weight268 g
- Width147 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine14 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $43.10
- AU $17.61Trending at AU $22.61
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.15
- AU $43.37Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $30.57Trending at AU $33.73
- AU $11.00Trending at AU $14.90
- AU $17.85Trending at AU $25.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.