All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.38Trending at AU $49.05
- AU $74.43Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $22.11Trending at AU $22.83
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.73
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $17.61Trending at AU $22.87
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.49
About this product
- DescriptionLate in 1939 a chance meeting between Penguin founder, Allen Lane, and natural history publisher, Noel Carrington, changed the future of children's publishing with the formation of a series called Puffin Picture Books. The first four titles appeared in 1940 and the series quickly established a reputation for presenting children's n-fiction in a unique blend of editing and design. Puffin Story Books soon followed with the publication of Worzel Gummidge in 1941 and, like the original launch of Penguin itself, these story books appeared in the three horizontal stripe design. Looking back at seventy years of Puffin paperbacks, Phil Baines charts the development of Puffin and the role of illustrators and designers in creating and defining the identity of the Puffin list from the very first picture book through to modern day. Rich with stunning cover and inside illustrations, and filled with detail of individual titles, Phil discusses the changes in typography, illustration and printing techniques over Puffin's spectacular 70-year history. An extraordinary and beautiful book, this is a perfect companion to Penguin By Design.
- Author BiographyPhil Baines was born in Kendal, Westmorland in 1958. He graduated from St Martin's School of Art in 1985 and the Royal College of Art in 1987, and is now Professor of Typography at Central Saint Martins, University of the Arts London. He has written extensively for the design press as well as three books: Type & Typography (2002, with Andrew Haslam); Signs, Lettering in the Environment (2003, with Catherine Dixon), and Penguin by Design: A Cover Story 1935-2005 (2005).
- Author(s)Phil Baines
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication27/05/2010
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAllen Lane
- Content NoteCovers and spreads from Puffin backlist
- Weight740 g
- Width187 mm
- Height220 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Interest Agefrom 12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.