All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis classic collection of essays, first published in 1968, has had an enduring impact on academic and public debates about criminal responsibility and criminal punishment. Forty years on, its arguments are as powerful as ever. H.L.A. Hart offers an alternative to retributive thinking about criminal punishment that nevertheless preserves the central distinction between guilt and incence. He also provides an account of criminal responsibility that links the distinction between guilt and incence closely to the ideal of the rule of law, and thereby attempts to by-pass unnerving debates about free will and determinism. Always engaged with live issues of law and public policy, Hart makes difficult philosophical puzzles accessible and immediate to a wide range of readers. For this new edition, otherwise a reproduction of the original, John Gardner adds an introduction engaging critically with Hart's arguments, and explaining the continuing importance of Hart's ideas in spite of the intervening revival of retributive thinking in both academic and policy circles. Unavailable for ten years, the new edition of Punishment and Responsibility makes available again the central text in the field for a new generation of academics, students and professionals engaged in criminal justice and penal policy.
- Author BiographyThe Late H.L.A. Hart was Professor of Jurisprudence in the University of Oxford from 1952 to 1968. Subsequently he became Principal of Brasenose College, Oxford. His other major works include Causation in the Law (with Tony Honore, OUP 1959), The Concept of Law (OUP 1961) and Law, Liberty and Morality (OUP 1963). ; John Gardner has been Professor of Jurisprudence in the University of Oxford since 2000. He is a former Fellow of All Souls and Brasenose Colleges in Oxford, and has also taught at King's College London, Yale Law School, Columbia Law School, and the University of Texas. His book Offences and Defences is forthcoming from OUP.
- Author(s)H. L. A. Hart
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication06/03/2008
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Weight407 g
- Width139 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $44.08Trending at AU $51.53
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.83
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $21.72
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.