All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRaul Zurita's Purgatory , a landmark in contemporary Latin American poetry, records the physical, cultural, and spiritual violence perpetrated against the Chilean people under Pichet's military dictatorship (1973-1990) in the fiercely inventive voice of a postmodern master. This beautiful en face edition, superbly translated by Anna Deeny, brings to English-language readers an indispensable volume written by one of the most important living poets writing in Spanish today. Zurita was a 24-year-old student in Valparaiso when, on the morning of the coup, he was arrested, detained, and tortured. Conceived as the first text of a Dantean trilogy that includes Anteparaiso ( Anteparadise ) and La Vida Nueva ( The New Life ), Purgatory is his anguished response to Chile's violent recent history.
- Author BiographyRaul Zurita, considered by many to be the heir to Pablo Neruda, is one of Latin America's most radical, influential, and prominent poets. Anna Deeny is a doctoral candidate in Latin American Literature at the University of California, Berkeley.
- Author(s)Raul Zurita
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication09/10/2009
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note12 b/w photographs
- Weight27 g
- Width152 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Translated byAnna Deeny
- Foreword byC. D. Wright
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.88
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.80Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.