Quake Dogs: Heart-warming Stories of Christchurch Dogs by Laura Sessions (Paperback, 2013)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $23.99+ AU $7.99 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by mighty_ape
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionStrange-but-true dog stories from the Christchurch earthquakes, with beautiful photographs illustrating each story. A collection of stories about Christchurch dogs and the earthquakes - true tales of heroism, odd and quirky stories, funny stories, sad stories - stories that will surprise you, make you chuckle or make you go awwww. Includes stories of USAR dogs that worked in the central city right after the February earthquake; Guinness, the ufficial mascot of the Student Volunteer Army; Nemo who has a special gift for predicting earthquakes; dogs who were rescued and dogs who rescued others; and the uncanny kwledge that a number of dogs showed in their efforts to find their owners. Dogs have been a huge comfort to their owners in Christchurch. The intensity of the earthquake experience has heightened the wordless connection between people and their dogs, and their understanding of each others' emotions. Part of the proceeds from the book help support one of the organisations that helped to save many dogs following the earthquakes. HUHA is a national organisation that works to rescue and re-home animals around the country, and they went to Christchurch three times to take more than 70 dogs plus numerous other animals to safe and loving homes elsewhere in the country.
- Author BiographyLaura Sessions (Author) Laura Sessions, author of Quake Dogs, was born in Lexington, Virginia, and moved to Christchurch in 1996, where she lives with her husband, Will, and their two dogs, George and Mildred. She has an MSc in botany and a PhD in science writing from the University of Canterbury, and she now manages AUIP, an educational travel company that each year brings about a thousand American students to study in the South Pacific region. In her spare time, Laura writes for science organisations and magazines in New Zealand and overseas. See more at http://thewriteimage.co.nz/. George and Mildred were away during most of the earthquakes, but they did escape from their house in Lyttelton during the June earthquake. George took himself directly to civil defence, while Mildred just lay in the middle of the road waiting for everyone to come home.Craig Bullock (Author) Craig Bullock has worked as a photographer for more than 10 years and found his rather unusual niche of pet photography very quickly because he's always loved animals. His pet photography business FURtography www.furtography.co.nz has gone from strength to strength and Craig has worked photographing pets for clients like Animates and Proud Paws and volunteered and fundraised for charities K9 Rescue and Rehoming, Dogwatch and Cats Protection League.
- Author(s)Laura Sessions
- PublisherRandom House New Zealand Ltd
- Date of Publication04/10/2013
- SubjectPets & Equine
- Place of PublicationAuckland
- Country of PublicationNew Zealand
- First Published2013
- ImprintRandom House New Zealand Ltd
- Content NoteColour photographs
- Weight895 g
- Width174 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Photographs byCraig Bullock
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Save on Textbooks
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $54.70
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.60
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $23.23
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.31
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $56.23
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.68
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.