All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book describes, in clear terms, the Why, What and the How of Quantum Field Theory. The raison d'etre of QFT is explained by starting from the dynamics of a relativistic particle and demonstrating how it leads to the tion of quantum fields. Non-perturbative aspects and the Wilsonian interpretation of field theory are emphasized right from the start. Several interesting topics such as the Schwinger effect, Davies-Unruh effect, Casimir effect and spontaneous symmetry breaking introduce the reader to the elegance and breadth of applicability of field theoretical concepts. Complementing the conceptual aspects, the book also develops all the relevant mathematical techniques in detail, leading e.g., to the computation of amalous magnetic moment of the electron and the two-loop rermalisation of the self-interacting scalar field. It contains nearly a hundred problems, of varying degrees of difficulty, making it suitable for both self-study and classroom use.
- Author BiographyThanu Padmanabhan, currently Distinguished Professor at the Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics at Pune, India, is a theoretical physicist whose research spans a wide variety of topics in gravitation, cosmology and quantum gravity. He has authored 10 books and about 250 papers and reviews, many of which have had significant impact in their fields. He was a Sackler Distinguished Astronomer of IoA, Cambridge, the President of the Cosmology Commission of the International Astronomical Union and the Chairman of the Astrophysics Commission of the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics and the recipient of Padma Shri, the Presidential medal which is the fourth highest civilian honor in India.
- Author(s)Thanu Padmanabhan
- PublisherSpringer International Publishing AG
- Date of Publication03/02/2016
- Series TitleGraduate Texts in Physics
- Place of PublicationCham
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintSpringer International Publishing AG
- Content Note2 black & white illustrations, 44 colour illustrations, biography
- Weight995 g
- Width210 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.03Trending at AU $32.48
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.14
- AU $43.71Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.73
- AU $21.54Trending at AU $28.01
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.27
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $34.88
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.