All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Queens and Power in Medieval and Early Modern England, Carole Levin and Robert Bucholz provide a forum for the underexamined, amalous reigns of queens in history. These regimes, primarily regarded as interruptions to the rmal male monarchy, have been examined largely as isolated cases. This interdisciplinary study of queens throughout history examines their connections to one ather, their constituents' perceptions of them, and the fallacies of their historical reputations. The contributors consider historical queens as well as fictional, mythic, and biblical queens and how they were represented in medieval and early modern England. They also give modern readers a glimpse into the early modern worldview, particularly regarding order, hierarchy, rulership, property, biology, and the relationship between the sexes. Considering topics as diverse as how Queen Elizabeth's unmarried status affected the perception of her as a just and merciful queen to a reevaluation of good Queen Anne as more than just an obese, conventional monarch, this volume encourages readers to reexamine previously held assumptions about the role of female monarchs in early modern history.
- Author BiographyCarole Levin is Willa Cather Professor of History at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. She is the author of Dreaming the English Renaissance: Politics and Desire in Court and Culture and The Heart and Stomach of a King: Elizabeth I and the Politics of Sex and Power. Robert Bucholz is a professor of history at Loyola University. He is the author of several books, including The Augustan Court: Queen Anne and the Decline of Court Culture, and the coauthor (with N. E. Key) of Early Modern England, 1485-1714: A Narrative History. Contributors: Charles Beem, Robert Bucholz, Sarah Duncan, Timothy G. Elston, Elaine Kruse, Amber Harris Leichner, Carole Levin, Michele Osherow, Anna Riehl, Linda S. Shenk, Marjorie Swann, John Watkins, Michelle A. White, and Richardine Woodall.
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication25/02/2009
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationNebraska
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBison Books
- Content Note12 illustrations
- Weight476 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byCarole Levin,Robert Bucholz
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.83
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.