All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionQueer Cinema, The Film Reader examines the relationship between cinematic representations of sexuality and their social, historical, and industrial contexts. Clearly divided into an introductory overview and four topic areas, the Reader explores how recent critical thinking has approached queer sexualities in relation to the cinema. The four sections discuss: * Authorship - examining the role of sexuality in the work of queer filmmakers such as George Cukor, Dorothy Arzner, Barbara Hammer, and the directors of New Queer Cinema * Forms - exploring how genres such as the horror film, the musical, film ir, and the animated film construct queer cinematic spaces * Camp - looking at how this reception strategy and mode of textual production, initially practised by pre-Stonewall queers, retains its critical charge even in contemporary mainstream popular culture * Reception - considering three specific historical case-studies of how queer fans have interacted with media texts from Judy Garland to Star Trek. The Reader concludes with an essay that queerly rethinks classical gaze theory and allows students and scholars of the subject to draw their own conclusions in their studies.
- Author BiographyHarry M. Benshoff is an Assistant Professor in Radio, Television and Film at the University of North Texas. He is the author of Monsters in the Closet: Homosexuality and the Horror Film (Manchester University Press, 1997) and co-author (with Sean Griffin) of America on Film: Representing Race, Class, Gender and Sexuality at the Movies (Blackwell Publishers, forthcoming, 2004) Dr. Sean Griffin is an Assistant Professor in the Division of Cinema-Television at Southern Methodist University. He is the author of Tinker Belles and Evil Queens: The Walt Disney Company from the Inside Out (NYU Press, 2000), and co-author (with Harry M. Benshoff) of America on Film: Representing Race, Class, Gender and Sexuality at the Movies (Blackwell Publishers, forthcoming, 2004).
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication17/06/2004
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleIn Focus: Routledge Film Readers
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight430 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byHarry M. Benshoff,Sean Griffin
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.93
- AU $23.60Trending at AU $29.65
- AU $32.93Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.93
- AU $30.83Trending at AU $32.07
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.73
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $22.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.