All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book provides a unique visual history of the Qur'an using fifty-five rare, beautiful and significant Qur'an manuscripts. A general introduction guides the reader through the Qur'an's entry into the world of late near eastern antiquity, a world where books of scripture were inextricably bound to the political and religious identities of empires. Books of scripture, as well as being visible statements of divine majesty, personal piety and religious identity, were viewed as providing a point of contact with the divine. In this setting the Qur'an came to be viewed by Muslims as the point of divine contact without peer, and the calligraphy of its text became the foundation of Islamic visual culture for centuries to come. From this beginning, the development of the Qur'an in book form is followed chrologically and geographically, and the themes of textual development, art, identity and divine presence are highlighted in each chapter. This book draws mainly from the collection of Qur'ans in the Bodleian Library, one of the oldest collections in the English-speaking world and one of the finest collections internationally. Manuscripts are featured from every major chrological period of the Qur'an's history, and most of the Qur'ans pictured have never appeared in print before. 'Qur'ans: Books of Divine Encounter' brings together in one volume a magnificent range of Qur'anic manuscripts, providing a lavishly illustrated historical overview of one of the most influential, most memorized and enduring sacred books in our world.
- Author BiographyKeith E. Small is Qur'anic Manuscript Consultant to the Bodleian Library and Associate Research Fellow at the London School of Theology.
- Author(s)Keith E. Small
- PublisherThe Bodleian Library
- Date of Publication03/07/2015
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe Bodleian Library
- Content Note58 colour illustrations
- Weight544 g
- Width190 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsWith flaps
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.18
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.99
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.42
- AU $28.11Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $36.82Trending at AU $37.88
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.28
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.77
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.