Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $6.95+ AU $11.00 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by army_of_nerds
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionR.E.M.'s debut album, released in 1983, was so far removed from the prevailing trends of American popular music that it still sounds miraculous and out of time today. J. Niimi tells the story of the album's genesis - with fascinating input from Don Dixon and Mitch Easter. He also investigates Michael Stipe's hyptic, mysterious lyrics, and makes the case for Murmur as a work of Southern Gothic art.EXCEPRT: In the course of an interview that took place some twenty years ago, Michael Stipe made passing reference to an essay that had a deep impact on him. It's what came to his mind when, after having been harangued by fans and journalists alike about Murmur's lyrics, already grown weary from having to continually entertain their broad speculations, he finally threw up his hands. Anyone who really wants to figure out the words to our songs should probably read this essay, then go back and listen, Stipe told the interviewer. It talks about how people misinterpret something that's being said, and come up with a little phrase or word that actually defines the essence of what the original was better than the original did. What Stipe was trying to say is that if you want answers to R.E.M., you're t only looking in the wrong place, you're also asking the wrong questions.
- Author BiographyJ. Niimi writes about rock music for a number of publications including the Chicago Reader and Seattle Weekly, and is a regular contributor to City Pages. He worked as a studio engineer and record producer, and toured and recorded five albums with his band Ashtray Boy. He lives in Chicago, where he hosts Radio Zero, a weekly rock show on WHPK 88.5 FM.
- Author(s)Justin Niimi
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication01/06/2005
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series Title33 1/3
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Weight154 g
- Width120 mm
- Height178 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.31Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $31.02
- AU $70.18Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $74.43Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.