All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat does it mean to say that someone is an educated person? How do we kw what's worth including in a school curriculum? Is a good moral education about developing good habits, or critical thinking? What role does the development of kwledge and understanding play in living a good life? These are all questions that were robustly taken up by the philosopher of education, R.S. Peters. In an era of immense reform (and confusion) about the values, aims and purposes of education, Peters developed a clear and nuanced account of what education is really about and how educational policy and practice can make good on its promise. This text undertakes a careful and accessible reconstruction of the major themes of Peters' thought in order to demonstrate the continuing relevance of his project, both for educational researchers and teachers and student teachers seeking to better understand the nature and scope of their work and study.
- Author BiographyStefaan E. Cuypers is Professor of Philosophy at the KU Leuven University, Belgium. He works in philosophy of education, philosophy of mind and epistemology. He is the author of Self-Identity and Personal Autonomy (2001), the co-author, together with Ishtiyaque Haji, of Moral Responsibility, Authenticity, and Education (2008), and an invited contributor to The Oxford Handbook of Philosophy of Education (2009), edited by Harvey Siegel. Christopher Martin is Assistant Professor of Education at the University of British Columbia, Kelowna, Canada. He works in philosophy of education, moral and political philosophy and moral education. He is the author of Education in a Post-Metaphysical World: Rethinking Educational Policy and Practice (2012) and co-editor, together with Stefaan E. Cuypers, of Reading R. S. Peters Today. Analysis, Ethics and the Aims of Education (2011).
- Author(s)Christopher Martin,Stefaan E. Cuypers
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication23/10/2014
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleBloomsbury Library of Educational Thought
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Weight409 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Series Edited byProfessor Richard Bailey
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $70.50
- AU $32.48Trending at AU $37.71
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.22
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $30.99Trending at AU $39.61
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.70
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $32.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.