All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBadgers are elusive wanderers of the night and few mammals are as mysterious. Their cturnal lifestyle means t many of us have ever glimpsed their mochrome form as they sniff and bustle their way through woodland or across pasture - yet most of us live far closer to a Badger group than we might think. In Spotlight: Badgers James Lowen explores all aspects of their lives including their communal living, feeding habits, as well as the major threats to and conservation support for Badgers. These iconic omnivores are widely represented in folklore and have permeated our popular culture. Generations of children have been entranced by Badger in Kenneth Grahame's book Wind in the Willows, however these determined yet mostly peaceful animals have also been loathed and persecuted for centuries. Badger baiting is thankfully w illegal, but the legal badger cull introduced in 2011 in parts of Gloucestershire and Somerset remains in place following the 2015 general election. With so much politics surrounding Badgers in the UK, it's t easy to get unbiassed information. In RSPB Spotlight: Badgers James Lowen keeps a neutral tone on the debate about Badger culling. He describes the history, from the first Badger found to be infected with bTB in 1972 and the subsequent gassing of setts from 1975 to 1982. He also outlines the RSPB's stance on the Badger cull. As one of the UK's largest landowners, the RSPB oppose Badger culling on their land, in favour of vaccination, cattle testing, bio-security and movement controls. The Spotlight series introduces readers to the lives and behaviours of our favourite animals with eye-catching, colour photography and informative expert text.
- Author BiographyJames Lowen is a wildlife writer, guide, consultant and photographer. Upon his return to Britain from several years leading wildlife tours in South America and Antarctica, he has renewed his relationship with British wildlife. His writing career includes the books Pantanal Wildlife, Antarctic Wildlife, 52 Wildlife Weekends and A Summer of Wildlife.
- Author(s)James Lowen
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication16/06/2016
- SubjectNatural History: Animal & Wildlife
- Series TitleRSPB
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFeatherstone Education
- Content Note300 colour photographs
- Weight277 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.82Trending at AU $7.34
- AU $63.09Trending at AU $76.70
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.84Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $17.56Trending at AU $22.92
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.