All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.36Trending at AU $49.47
- AU $74.17Trending at AU $76.60
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $35.48Trending at AU $39.06
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.67Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $38.86
About this product
- DescriptionConventional wisdom holds that, over a long period of history, many women and men in the countryside were prevented from marrying because they lacked access to land. This volume offers an up-to-date discussion of the interaction between inheritance practices, marriage and household formation both for those who inherited and those who did t. It asks why and to what extent inheritance patterns and household structures differed between countries and regions in Europe right up to the present day. Dealing with bothimpartible and partible inheritance, it examines how retirement practices and choices between ante-mortem or post-mortem property transfers gave rise to a wide range ofspecific strategies. The chapters cover rural Europe from the seventeenth to the twentieth century, ranging from semi-subsistence and seigrial societies to highly market-oriented ecomies. They offer case studies drawn from the Iberian Peninsula to Scandinavia and from the British Isles to Russia.
- Author BiographyAnne-Lise Head-Konig is professor em. of social and economic history at the University of Geneva (Switzerland). Her main fields of research relate to the transformations in rural societies in Switzerland and in Europe with their social and demographic implications, including social mobility, migration and gender. Peter Pozsgai is associate professor of social and economic history at the Corvinus University of Budapest (Hungary). His research interests in rural studies cover demography, agrarian social relations, property transfer and the land market in Hungary and in Europe from the eighteenth to the twentieth century.
- PublisherBrepols N.V.
- Date of Publication30/06/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Series TitleRural History in Europe
- Series Part/Volume Number7
- Place of PublicationTurnhout
- Country of PublicationBelgium
- ImprintBrepols N.V.
- Weight612 g
- Width155 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byAnne-Lise Head-Konig,Peter Pozsgai
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.