Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.34Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.18Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $73.74Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.67Trending at AU $23.05
About this product
- DescriptionIn the fourth Quarterly Essay Don Watson takes an analytical look at the ways in which the Australian imagination has always been dominated by America. Why are they so much better than we are? Even when it comes to producing books like the Updike 'Rabbit' sequence that tell us what we are like? Why are they also a land of executioners who have nevertheless created the least bad empire the world has seen? Can we really expect to be deputies to America? And what about our own sacred story (the progressive one) that we have sold for the sake of the Americanisation of our own society? If we can't have a friendly independent relationship with America, why don't we go the whole hog and join them? In a dark, brooding, moody essay, Don Watson plays on the paradoxes of Australia's feeling about America and offers a scathing view of an Australian culture that is asking to be engulfed by its great and powerful friend because the mental process is already so advanced. This is a brilliant meditation round a set of paradoxes that are central to our long-term anxieties and hopes. '...this is a Quarterly Essay that plays on our most fundamental fears, including the most terrifying of all, that we shall cease to exist because we have never been. ' Peter Craven, Introduction 'The Australian story does t work anymore, or t well eugh ...to hang the modern story on ...The most useful thing is to recognise that ...we took the biggest step we have ever taken towards the American social model. And this has profound implications for how we think of Australia and how we make it cohere.' Don Watson, Rabbit Syndrome
- Author BiographyAuthors Bio, not available
- PrizesWinner of Victorian Premier's Literary Award - Alfred Deakin Prize for an Essay Advancing Public Debate 2002.
- Author(s)Don Watson
- PublisherBlack Inc.
- Date of Publication01/12/2001
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Series TitleQuarterly Essay
- Series Part/Volume Number4
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintQuarterly Essay
- Weight180 g
- Width168 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.