All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe fundamental litmus test for American democracy-its ecomy, government, criminal justice system, education, mass media, and culture-remains: how broad and intense are the arbitrary powers used and deployed against black people. In this sense, the problem of the twenty-first century remains the problem of the color line. --from the new Preface First published in 1993 on the one-year anniversary of the L.A. riots, Race Matters was a national best-seller, and it has since become a groundbreaking classic on race in America. Race Matters contains West's most powerful essays on the issues relevant to black Americans today: despair, black conservatism, black-Jewish relations, myths about black sexuality, the crisis in leadership in the black community, and the legacy of Malcolm X. And the insights that he brings to these complicated problems remain fresh, exciting, creative, and compassionate. Now more than ever, Race Matters is a book for all Americans, as it helps us to build a genuine multiracial democracy in the new millennium.
- Author BiographyCornel West, the preeminent African-American intellectual of our generation (Henry Louis Gates, Jr.), is author of many books. He is Alphonse Fletcher, Jr., University Professor at Harvard University.
- Author(s)Cornel West
- PublisherBeacon Press
- Date of Publication25/05/2001
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationBoston, MA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBeacon Press
- Weight277 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Introduction byCornel West
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $38.10
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.98
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.38
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.48
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.92
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.