All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe intersection of race and sex in Latin America is a subject touched upon by many disciplines but this is the first book to deal solely with these issues. Interracial sexual relations are often a key mythic basis for Latin American national identities, but the importance of this has been underexplored. Peter Wade provides a pioneering overview of the growing literature on race and sex in the region, covering historical aspects and contemporary debates. He includes both black and indigeus people in the frame, as well as mixed and white people, avoiding the implication that race means black-white relations. Challenging but accessible, this book will appeal across the humanities and social sciences, particularly to students of anthropology, gender studies, history and Latin American studies.
- Author BiographyPeter Wade is a Professor of Social Anthropology at the University of Manchester. He is the author of Race and Sex in Latin America (Pluto, 2009) and Race, Nature and Culture (Pluto, 2002).
- Author(s)Peter Wade
- PublisherPluto Press
- Date of Publication07/09/2009
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleAnthropology, Culture and Society
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPluto Press
- Content Note1 map, 3 figures
- Weight390 g
- Width135 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $41.79Trending at AU $43.10
- AU $17.61Trending at AU $22.61
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.15
- AU $43.41Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $30.57Trending at AU $33.73
- AU $17.85Trending at AU $25.07
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.