Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.55
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
About this product
- DescriptionDid affirmative action programs solve the problem of race on American college campuses, as several recent books would have us believe? If so, why does talking about race in anything more than a superficial way make so many students uncomfortable? Written by college instructors from many disciplines, this volume of essays takes a bold first step toward a nationwide conversation. Each of the twenty-nine contributors addresses one central question: what are the challenges facing a college professor who believes that teaching responsibly requires an honest and searching examination of race? Professors from the humanities, social sciences, sciences, and education consider topics such as how the classroom environment is structured by race; the temptation to retreat from challenging students when faced with possible reprisals in the form of complaints or negative evaluations; the implications of using standardized evaluations in faculty tenure and promotion when the course subject is intimately connected with race; and the varying ways in which white faculty and faculty of color are impacted by teaching about race.
- Author BiographyBONNIE TUSMITH is an associate professor of English at Northeastern University. She is the author of All My Relatives: Community in Contemporary Ethnic American Literatures and other scholarly works on literature and multiethnic pedagogy. MAUREEN T. REDDY is a professor of English and women's studies at Rhode Island College. She is the author of several books, including Crossing the Color Line: Race, Parenting, and Culture (Rutgers University Press) and Everyday Acts Against Racism.
- PublisherRutgers University Press
- Date of Publication31/10/2002
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Place of PublicationNew Brunswick, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRutgers University Press
- Content Note29 b&w illustrations
- Weight562 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byBonnie TuSmith,Maureen T. Reddy
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.