Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.41
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.41
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.20
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.15
- AU $37.05Trending at AU $39.70
About this product
- DescriptionThere are widely divergent views about racism in Canada. Some believe that racism is a fundamental feature of Canadian society and national identity. This dystopian view of Canada as a fundamentally and irrevocably racist society carries considerable currency in some academic and activist circles. Others argue that racism is oversold as a social problem: while pockets of racism do exist, Canada remains a fundamentally fair place for people of diverse backgrounds to prosper and flourish. Vic Satzewich's short and accessible book explores how racism operates in Canadian society, past and present. Racism is a complex aspect of Canadian society; while it may t be an inherent and invariant feature of our country, it is also more prevalent than many people may realize. The book examines a variety of issues including racism and the immigration system, racial profiling, racism and First Nations, and Islamophobia. It concludes with a discussion of some of the dilemmas and challenges associated with anti-racism theory and practice.
- Author BiographyVic Satzewich is Professor of Sociology at McMaster University. He was a Commonwealth Scholar at the University of Glasgow, where he earned his Ph.D. in 1988. He has published over 50 articles and chapters in books dealing with various aspects of immigration, ethnicity, Aboriginal-non-Aboriginal relations, and racism. His books include Racism and the Incorporation of Foreign Labour: Farm Labour Migration to Canada Since 1945, The Ukrainian Diaspora, Transnational Identities and Practices in Canada (edited with Lloyd Wong), and Race and Ethnicity in Canada: A Critical Introduction (with Nikolaos LIodakis).
- Author(s)Vic Satzewich
- PublisherOxford University Press, Canada
- Date of Publication25/11/2010
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintOxford University Press, Canada
- Weight148 g
- Width127 mm
- Height202 mm
- Spine9 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.