All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs someone who clocked more time in mosh pits and at pro-choice rallies than kneeling in a pew, Kaya Oakes was t necessarily the kind of Catholic girl the Vatican was after. But even while she immersed herself in the punk rock scene and proudly called herself an atheist, something kept pulling her back to the religion of her Irish roots. After running away from the Church for thirty years, Kaya decides to return. Her marriage is under stress, her job is longer satisfying, and with multiple deaths in her family, a darkness looms large. In spite of her frustration with Catholic conservatism, thing brings her peace like Mass. After years of searching to avail for a better religious fit, she realizes that the only way to find harmony--in her faith and her personal life--is to confront the Church she'd left behind. Rebellious and hypercritical, Kaya relearns the catechisms and achieves the sacraments, all while trying to reconcile her liberal beliefs with contemporary Church philosophy. Along the way she meets a group of feisty feminist nuns, a pray-and-bitch circle, an all-too handsome Italian priest, and a motley crew of misfits doing their best to find their voices in an outdated institution. This is a story of transformation, t only of Kaya's from ex-Catholic to amateur theologian, but ultimately of the cultural and ethical pushes for change that are rocking the world's largest religion to its core.
- Author BiographyKaya Oakes is the author of Slanted and Enchanted: The Evolution of Indie Culture, the poetry collection Telegraph, and cofounder of Kitchen Sin k, winner of the Utne Independent Press Award for Best New Magazine. She teaches at the University of California, Berkeley, and lives in Oakland.
- Author(s)Kaya Oakes
- Date of Publication26/07/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAutobiography: Religious & Spiritual
- Place of PublicationBerkeley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintShoemaker & Hoard, Div of Avalon Publishing Group Inc
- Weight259 g
- Width142 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $16.90
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.70
- AU $9.06Trending at AU $14.03
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.87
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.83
- AU $20.29Trending at AU $25.57
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.85
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.