All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRadovan Karadzic, leader of the Bosnian Serb nationalists during the Bosnian War (1992-5), stands accused of gecide and other crimes of war before the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in The Hague. This book traces the origins of the extreme violence of the war to the utopian national aspirations of the Serb Democratic Party and Karadzic's personal transformation from an unremarkable family man to the powerful leader of the Bosnian Serb nationalists. Based on previously unused documents from the tribunal's archives and many hours of Karadzic's cross-examination at his trial, the author shows why and how the Bosnian Serb leader planned and directed the worst atrocities in Europe since the Second World War. This book provocatively argues that postcommunist democracy was a primary enabler of mass atrocities because it provided the means to mobilize large numbers of Bosnian Serbs for the campaign to eliminate n-Serbs from conquered land.
- Author BiographyRobert J. Donia has been visiting and writing about the former Yugoslavia since 1965. He has authored three books and written numerous articles about the history of Bosnia and Herzegovina and has taught courses on human rights and the former Yugoslavia as a visiting professor at the University of Michigan. As an expert historical witness, he has provided testimony at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in The Hague in the trials of former Yugoslav president Slobodan Milosevic and former Bosnian Serb leaders Radovan Karadzic and Ratko Mladic and twelve other trials.
- Author(s)Robert J. Donia
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication22/09/2014
- SubjectHistory: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note8 b/w illus. 6 maps 2 tables
- Weight520 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $132.35Trending at AU $138.02
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.32
- AU $32.92Trending at AU $36.29
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.53
- AU $30.90Trending at AU $31.80
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.06
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $50.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.