All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTwelve BBC Radio 4 full-cast dramatisations featuring Raffles, the 'gentleman thief'. Jeremy Clyde stars as the cricket playing A.J. Raffles, with Michael Cochrane as his jeweller friend Bunny. Together they embark upon a series of well planned crimes against the highest of society. The twelve stories are The Ides of March; Gentlemen & Players; A Costume Piece; Nine Points of the Law; Wilful Murder; The Chest of Silver; The Rest Cure; The Crimilogists' Club; The Field of Philippi; A Bad Night; A Trap To Catch A Cracksman; The Gift Of The Emperor.
- Author BiographyE.W. Hornung was an English author and poet, known for writing the A. J. Raffles series of stories about a gentleman thief in late 19th-century London. Hornung was educated at Uppingham School; as a result of poor health he left the school in December 1883 to travel to Sydney, where he stayed for two years. He drew on his Australian experiences as a background when he began writing, initially short stories and later novels. In 1898 he wrote In the Chains of Crime , which introduced Raffles and his sidekick, Bunny Manders; the characters were based partly on his friends Oscar Wilde and his lover, Lord Alfred Douglas, and also on Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. The series of Raffles short stories were collected for sale in book form in 1899, and two further books of Raffles short stories followed, as well as a poorly received novel. Aside from his Raffles stories, Hornung was a prodigious writer of fiction, publishing numerous books from 1890, with A Bride from the Bush to his 1914 novel The Crime Doctor. Although much of Hornung's work has fallen into obscurity, his Raffles stories continued to be popular, and have formed numerous film and television adaptations. Hornung's stories dealt with a wider range of themes than crime: he examined scientific and medical developments, guilt, class and the unequal role played by women in society. Two threads that run through a sizeable proportion of his books are Australia and cricket; the latter was also a lifelong passion.
- Author(s)E. W. Hornung
- PublisherBBC Audio, A Division Of Random House
- Date of Publication20/08/2015
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBBC Physical Audio
- Weight174 g
- Width140 mm
- Height143 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Read byJeremy Clyde,Michael Cochrane
- Contained items statement6 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time330
- Edition StatementA&M
Save on Audio Books
- AU $16.32Trending at AU $20.57
- AU $89.47Trending at AU $97.51
- AU $30.20Trending at AU $37.61
- AU $27.59Trending at AU $32.43
- AU $21.05Trending at AU $28.91
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $25.00
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $51.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.