All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBrookside Elementary in Norwalk, Connecticut, is preparing for a new school year and ather chance to improve its failing scores on the statewide standardized test kwn as the CMT. The challenges are many, and for the faculty whose jobs may depend on their students ability to improve on the test the stakes are high. Ten-year-old Hydea is about to start fifth grade with second-grade reading skills. Her friend Marbella is only a little further along. In past years, these students would have received help from the literacy specialist Mrs. Schaefer. But this year, due to cutbacks and a change in job description, she will have to select the few students whom she and the teachers can bet on the ones who are close to passing the exams. And, for added measure, Principal Hay has already asked his faculty to teach to the test. Journalist Ron Berler spent a full year at Brookside. In <i>Raising the Curve</i>, he offers a nuanced and personal portrait of the students, teachers, and staff who make up the Brookside community, capturing their struggles as well as their pride, resilience, and spirited faith.
- Author Biography<b>Ron Berler</b> has devoted much of his career to reporting on youth issues. He wrote a weekly column on kids issues for the <i>Chicago Tribune</i> and served as editor-in-chief of <i>NBA Inside Stuff</i>, a pro-basketball magazine for teens. He has authored one children s book, <i>The Super Book of Baseball</i>, and edited another, <i>Rising Stars: The 10 Best Young Players in the NBA</i>. His work has appeared in the <i>New York Times Magazine</i>, <i>Sports Illustrated</i>, <i>Wired</i>, <i>Men s Journal</i>, and on ESPN.com, among other publications. He lives in Connecticut with his wife and dog.
- Author(s)Ron Berler
- PublisherBerkley Publishing Group
- Date of Publication04/03/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBerkley Publishing Group
- Weight249 g
- Width137 mm
- Height206 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.37
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.