All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionThis mograph covers some of the most important developments in Ramsey theory from its beginnings in the early 20th century via its many breakthroughs to recent important developments in the early 21st century. The book first presents a detailed discussion of the roots of Ramsey theory before offering a thorough discussion of the role of parameter sets. It presents several examples of structures that can be interpreted in terms of parameter sets and features the most fundamental Ramsey-type results for parameter sets: Hales-Jewett's theorem and Graham-Rothschild' s Ramsey theorem as well as their canical versions and several applications. Next, the book steps back to the most basic structure, to sets. It reviews classic results as well as recent progress on Ramsey numbers and the asymptotic behavior of classical Ramsey functions. In addition, it presents product versions of Ramsey's theorem, a combinatorial proof of the incompleteness of Pea arithmetic, provides a digression to discrepancy theory and examines extensions of Ramsey's theorem to larger cardinals. The next part of the book features an in-depth treatment of the Ramsey problem for graphs and hypergraphs. It gives an account on the existence of sparse and restricted Ramsey theorem's using sophisticated constructions as well as probabilistic methods. Among others it contains a proof of the induced Graham-Rothschild theorem and the random Ramsey theorem. The book closes with a chapter on one of the recent highlights of Ramsey theory: a combinatorial proof of the density Hales-Jewett theorem. This book provides graduate students as well as advanced researchers with a solid introduction and reference to the field.
- Author BiographyThe author was one of the driving forces of the field in the eighties and nineties of the last century. Many of the, by now standard, proofs of the field were discovered by him.
- Author(s)Hans-Jurgen Promel
- PublisherSpringer International Publishing AG
- Date of Publication23/08/2016
- Place of PublicationCham
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintSpringer International Publishing AG
- Content Note13 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight385 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 2013
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.