All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.66
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.45
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.63
- AU $98.80Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $49.77Trending at AU $51.97
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.72
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.64
About this product
- DescriptionThe lure of the West has been strong in American history, representing the promise of beautiful, wild landscapes, broad vistas, clean air, and bright skies. Set on this magnificent land are the homes and their interiors-from the 150-year-old Rancho Camulos of Ramona fame to Jack London's Beauty Ranch on the slopes of Soma Mountain to the working ranches of today. Ranches: Home on the Range in California presents an expression of a lifestyle steeped in self- sufficiency, love of the land, and unpretentiousness. Arising from the tradition of the Mexican land-grant ranchos and the spread of Spanish Catholic missions, the ranches of California have a long and multifaceted history, which is examined by author Marc Appleton, who himself can attest to the challenges and charms of ranch life. Located in dramatic landscapes of rolling hills, upon the sides of mountains, or in vast plains bordered by sw-capped mountains, the featured homes demonstrate archetypal types-from the Spanish-style hacienda form of historic Rancho Camulos, with its open porch and broad eaves, to the New England clapboard traditional, as seen in Jack London's Beauty Ranch. At once a tribute to a historic form and a fading way of life, as well as a celebration of renewal, architectural beauty, and the romance of the West, this book offers the reader an immersive experience of living on the land.
- Author BiographyMarc Appleton, an architect and author, is the principal of Appleton and Associates Inc. Melba Levick is a widely published and exhibited photographer who lives and works in Paris; Venice, California; and Formentera, Spain.
- Author(s)Marc Appleton
- PublisherRizzoli International Publications
- Date of Publication11/10/2016
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRizzoli International Publications
- Content Note220 colour and black and white photographs
- Weight1973 g
- Width254 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Photographs byMelba Levick
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.