CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.98
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.37
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.79
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.13
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.04
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.80
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.02
About this product
- DescriptionFrom cuneiform, coins, and codices to prints, drawings, photographs, and maps, departments of rare books and special collections are the premier repositories of significant printed and manuscript works and artefacts. Entrusted with the responsibility of preserving the records of history and culture, these institutions enable access to millions of source materials. Berger, a veteran of rare book and special collections, offers a landmark examination of this field. Showing readers everything they need to kw about rare books and special collections, this wide-ranging book covers the following key topics: * The profession's history and its relevance in the face of an increasingly digital world * Archives' relationship to the special collections department and their role in the wider institution * Collection development, cataloguing, processing, physical layout, and other operational functions, with coverage of acquisition sources and methods * What everyone needs to kw about the physical materials in their care, including preservation, conservation, and restoration, storage, handling, and security * Reference and outreach services, including a look at exhibitions and tours * Fundraising and financial management * Legal and ethical issues * Forgeries, fakes, and facsimiles * Bibliography and its impact on the rare book world, including a look at booksellers, dors, and auctions * The present state of books in our digital environment * The vocabulary of the trade. Readership: Aimed at practitioners in the library field, instructors teaching courses on the subject, booksellers, private collectors, historians, bibliophiles, and others involved in rare and unique materials, Rare Books and Special Collections presents a meticulous and systematic understanding of this growing field.
- Author BiographySidney E. Berger is the Ann C. Pingree Director of the Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, Massachusetts, USA. Since 2002, he has been a professor at Simmons College in Boston, USA, where he teaches Editing Copy and Proof, History of the Book, and Rare Books and Special Collections Librarianship. Sid is also an adjunct professor in the Graduate School of Library and Information Science at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, USA. He has published and lectured widely on literary, bibliographical, and library subjects.
- Author(s)Sidney E. Berger
- PublisherFacet Publishing
- Date of Publication21/08/2014
- SubjectLibrary & Information Science
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFacet Publishing
- Width215 mm
- Height279 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.