Reaching and Teaching Stressed and Anxious Learners in Grades 4-8: Strategies for Relieving Distress and Trauma in Schools and Classrooms by Barbara E. Oehlberg (Paperback, 2006)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $77.79+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $77.94+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $49.77Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $97.42
About this product
- Description'Offers those of us who interact with students an opportunity to respond with sensitivity and reflective action. Barbara Oehlberg t only identifies the issues, but also provides activities that can help us gain greater insight into the child's world and provide opportunities for empowerment and healing.' -Susan Ross, Coordinator of Health Services Canton City Schools, OH 'With the wisdom in this important work, we can help our children develop new strategies for successful living in a stressful world.' -Stephen Canneto, Director Art for a Child's Safe America Foundation 'Links sound neurological research with practical activities for educators and youth workers.' -Martha de Acosta, Director Education and Training Programs Milton S. Eisenhower Foundation From trauma, stress, and hopelessness to safety, challenge, and optimism! Not all children cope equally well with the stresses and traumas life throws their way, and every educator recognizes that deer in the headlights look some children get when current events and past traumas combine to trigger a fight-or-flight stress response. No matter how safe the classroom may be in reality, trauma deactivates cognitive skills, and learning cant resume until the child's equilibrium has been restored. This important new resource helps educators understand how trauma and stress interfere with cognitive skills, and how classroom and school activities can be used to restore feelings of safety, empowerment, and well-being. Topics include: Neurobiology of the developing child and how cognitive lock-out from the neocortex occurs during stress responses Strategies for reactivating cognitive skills, memory, and the ability to learn following stress responses How acting-out behaviors are linked to stress and trauma How to generate a united effort on school safety and violence prevention issues Teachers, counselors, principals, and administrators will find that these invative strategies enhance feelings of safety and optimism in all learning environments and programs, transforming hopelessness and anxiety into resiliency and hope.
- Author BiographyAfter completing the post-graduate program in Child Development and Family Studies at the University of Akron, Barbara Oehlberg was employed by the Family Life Program, Office of Adult Education, Cleveland Public Schools. She wrote, Parenting for Peaceful Families: A Resource Guide for Parent Educators, for Ohio's Governor R. Celeste during that time. Since retirement, Barbara has become an avid reader of neurological research and has become certified as a Child Trauma Consultant by the Institute for Trauma; Loss in Children She serves on their Board of Advisors. She has authored another book on classroom transformation of stress, preschool to grade three. Making it Better:Activities for Children Living in a Stressful World, was published in 1996. Barbara teaches CEU courses for educators through Kent State and Ashland Universities She serves as a consultant for Ohio's Commission on Dispute Resolution and Conflict Management and provides inservices to Ohio's schools. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Author(s)Barbara E. Oehlberg
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication09/03/2006
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCorwin Press Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight517 g
- Width215 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine12 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.