All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionStrongly divided evaluations of C. S. Lewis's work persist today based on his perspectives and writings on religion, particularly Christianity. Those who approve tend to see his work as of value primarily because it gives his academic and cultural value to his advocacy of Christianity. Conversely, those who disapprove of that advocacy tend to see the worth of his writing as vitiated by his apologetic agenda. Wesley Kort's book sets a new standard in C. S. Lewis studies, arguing for an alternative perspective that considers Lewis's work as a whole, investigating why and at what points Lewis turns to religion generally and to Christianity particularly in order to advance his arguments. Reading C. S. Lewis: A Commentary provides a captivating look into the many cultural, academic, and literary contexts that influenced his many texts. The book examines the standing of Lewis's work, how best to approach his work, as well as the understandings that lead to mistaken readings of him. This indispensable C. S. Lewis resource comments separately on each of more than a dozen of Lewis's major books, connecting readers to the particular literature, religion, and philosophy of C. S. Lewis. These commentaries are free-standing essays, analyses and interpretations of texts that can be read individually and in any order. Scholars and fans of C. S. Lewis will appreciate Kort's commentary and guide to the texts in this new light.
- Author BiographyWesley A. Kort is Professor of Religion at Duke University.
- Author(s)Wesley A. Kort
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication26/11/2015
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Weight506 g
- Width149 mm
- Height217 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $29.40Trending at AU $31.55
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.55Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.84Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.