Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.52Trending at AU $57.15
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.49Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
About this product
- DescriptionReading depends on rapid, smooth decoding. It's what allows a good reader to look at words and instantly recognize what they are saying (that is, decode them into real words). Unfortunately, for many children, this does t happen. Instead, reading is an onerous chore where they have to repeatedly stop to spend time and effort sounding out a slew of words. How could they have forgotten so quickly? The answer is that they did t really forget. What happened is that they never really processed the word they had sounded out and so memory of it was laid down. Hence when the word is seen again, it is as if it were a first exposure. Fortunately there is a solution which may be a bit unexpected-since it rests t in reading but in writing. Reading often can be achieved without exactness. For example, if you show a young child a long word starting with el and ending with ant, the chances are that he or she will say ( correctly ) that it is the word elephant. The cues are sufficient to make this guess. Writing, or at least accurate writing, is t possible if this kind of rough approximation is used. For a word to be written accurately, each and every letter must be ted and placed in the correct sequence. That's why writing holds the key to both successful reading and writing. Memory Master, developed based on decades of research, guides students to rapidly develop the essential memory skills that lead to effortless reading and writing.
- Author BiographyDr. Marion Blank is a world-renowned literacy and language expert on the faculty of Columbia University where she created and directed the Light on Learning Program. She has lectured extensively around the world, authored dozens of peer-reviewed articles and books and developed numerous award winning teaching programs (including the ground-breaking reading education site, ReadingKingdom.com). She is a recipient of the Upton Sinclair Award which honors individuals who have made a significant contribution to education.
- Author(s)Dr Marion Blank
- Date of Publication20/11/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectSelf Improvement: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight249 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.