All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.87
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
About this product
- DescriptionReading Responsibly: A Guide to Biblical Interpretation focuses on two key areas: methods and ethics of interpretation. The book introduces, explains, and guides students in the understanding and application of particular methods commonly used by biblical scholars in the study of the Bible. The methods discussed focus on historical, literary, and reader-oriented aspects of biblical interpretation. The attention to ethics occurs mainly in the last chapter. Because the Bible is an extremely influential book, it often motivates people to act in beneficial or harmful ways. The focus on love for others motivates charitable giving or actions designed to help others. Emphasis on God s wrath may lead to exclusivism and even violence. Readings leading to disrespect and mental or physical abuse, stem from an irresponsible use of the Bible. Responsible readings give full consideration to the text in its proper context and never call for action that is inconsistent with love and justice.
- Author BiographyTony L. Moyers is a professor of religion at Athens State University. He is the department chair of the humanities and social sciences. He received his Ph.D. in biblical studies from Baylor University. Professor Moyers did additional graduate work at Vanderbilt University and is also the author of The Moral Life: Obligation and Affirmation.
- Author(s)Tony L Moyers
- Date of Publication28/03/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight363 g
- Width152 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.