All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.34Trending at AU $49.62
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.74
- AU $28.59Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $70.29Trending at AU $77.45
- AU $73.90Trending at AU $76.83
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $39.18
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.70
About this product
- DescriptionIn Reading: The 1950s Stuart Hylton gives a fascinating account of the town and its people during a decade of rapid and memorable change. The story begins in the drab atmosphere of the early postwar years, with their austerity, sense of shrinking empire and declining national prestige. It ends with the brash new world of the swinging sixties, which brought The Beatles, the miniskirt and the Mini car. From television and labour-saving appliances which revolutionised the home, to the motor car which began to dominate travel and to alter the haracter of the town, the author also records aspects of Reading that stayed much the same - the courage and humour of the townspeople in sometimes trying circumstances, the ingenuity and incompetence of the criminal classes, the absurdities of officialdom, and the sheer diversity of local life as it emerges from reports in the press. Capturing the spirit of the population during an era of bewildering development and change, this is a must-have for locals and anybody with an interest in the history of the town.
- Author BiographyStuart Hylton, born and bred in Berkshire, worked as a town planner in Reading from 1980 to 1998, where he eventually became Head of Planning and Environmental Health and Head of Strategic Planning and Transport for all Berkshire's local authorities. He is the author of 16 books on historical subjects and has written several titles on Reading, where he now lives.
- Author(s)Stuart Hylton
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication05/03/2013
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight295 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.