All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $94.99Trending at AU $106.80
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.51
- AU $104.90Trending at AU $118.13
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.21
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $106.06
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.61
About this product
- DescriptionLlanelli stands on several borders in Wales. Industrial town, or still belonging to its rural Carmarthenshire hinterland? Welsh or Englishspeaking? Plaid or Labour? Shaped by its workers or by the small number of families who employed them? It all makes Llanelli that much more interesting than a town of its size has any right to be. Jon Gower has written a lively and engaging account of Llanelli and its environs, from how to prounce 'Llanelli' to how a village in rural Carmarthenshire became a European centre for iron, steel and tinplate. He examines this industrial heritage but also its residue today, hitching a lift on the delivery of Llanelli-manufactured widgets to a manufacturer in Germany. Shaped by and shaping all these things are the people: steelworkers, farmers, professional and amateur sportsmen, artists and writers, the small local bourgeoisie, the famous who may have left the town but still carry a part of it in them.The Llanelli identity may be complex but it is embraced by an almost tribal people.
- Author BiographyJon Gower is a producer with Boomerang, one of Wales' most dynamically creative television and radio companies. He is the former arts and media correspondent for BBC Wales and the author of Big Fish, Dala'r Llanw, and An Island Called Smith. Peter Finch is a poet, a critic, and a chief executive of Academi, the Welsh National Literature Promotion Agency and Society of Writers. He is the author of Food, How to Publish Your Poetry, How to Publish Yourself, Real Cardiff, Real Cardiff Two, and Real Wales.
- Author(s)John Gower
- PublisherPoetry Wales Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2009
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Series TitleReal Series
- Place of PublicationBridgend
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width136 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byPeter Finch
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.