All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.81Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.17Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
About this product
- DescriptionArchives, monuments, celebrations:there are t merely the recollections of memory but also the foundations of history. Symbols, the third and final volume in Pierre Nora's monumental Realms of Memory, includes groundbreaking discussions of the emblems of France's past by some of the nation's most distinguished intellectuals. The seventeen essays in this book consider such diverse sites of memory as the figures of Joan D'Arc and Decartes, the national motto of Liberty, Equality, Fraternity , the tricolor flag and the French language itself. Pierre Nora's closing essay on commemoration provides a culminating overview of the series. Offering a new approach on history, culture, French studies and the studies of symbols, Realms of Memory reveals how the myriad meanings we attach to places and events constitute our sense of history.
- Author BiographyPierre Nora is Editorial Director of Editions Gallimand. He is editor of the journal Le Debat and is Directeur D'Etudes at the Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, Paris.
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication01/08/1996
- LanguageEnglish & French
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleEuropean Perspectives: A Series in Social Thought and Cultural Criticism
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Content Note140 illus
- Weight1452 g
- Width260 mm
- Height185 mm
- Spine43 mm
- Edited byArthur Goldhammer,Lawrence D. Kritzman,Pierre Nora
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.