All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExploring the conceptual framework that helps direct and ground researchers, this is a practical book that presents conceptual frameworks as a mechanism - process and product. The authors discuss a conceptual framework as both a guide and a ballast for empirical research with specific questions and strategies for exploring what is already kwn about a given topic or question. In the second edition two new chapters have been added; chapter 3 focuses on how conceptual frameworks are conceptualized and developed, profiling Angela Duckworth's seminal work on grit. The chapter addresses the question on the minds of graduate students preparing for the dissertation process: how do I get started? A second published work (along with Margaret Beale Spencer's featured in chapter 7) that utilizes quantitative methods and brings the book into greater balance in terms of methodological focus. Chapter 8 is the second new chapter and provides a student's perspective on the role of conceptual frameworks in the research process from beginning to end. Many more visuals have been included which assist in illustrating key ideas and relationships providing a clear roadmap for the reader, combined with a thorough updating of the relevant research.
- Author BiographySharon M. Ravitch, Ph.D. is a Senior Lecturer at the University of Pennsylvania's Graduate School of Education where she is Research Co-Director at the Center for the Study of Boys' and Girls' Lives and a Founding Co-Director of Penn's Inter-American Educational Leadership Network. She serves as the Principal Investigator of Semillas Digitales (Digital Seeds) a multi-year applied development research initiative in Nicaragua (http://www2.gse.upenn.edu/nicaragua/). Ravitch's research integrates across the fields of qualitative research, education, applied development, cultural anthropology, and human development and has four main strands: (1) Practitioner Research as a means to engendering sustainable professional and institutional development and innovation; (2) International applied development research that works from participatory and action research approaches (projects currently in the US, Nicaragua, and India); (3) Ethnographic and participatory evaluation research; and (4) Leader education and professional development. Ravitch has published three books: Reason and Rigor: How Conceptual Frameworks Guide Research (with Matthew Riggan, Sage Publications, 2012); School Counseling Principles: Diversity and Multiculturalism (American School Counselor Association Press, 2006) and Matters of Interpretation: Reciprocal Transformation in Therapeutic and Developmental Relationships with Youth (with Michael Nakkula, Jossey-Bass, 1998). Ravitch earned two master's degrees from Harvard University in Human Development and Psychology and in Education and a doctorate from the University of Pennsylvania in an interdisciplinary program that combined anthropology, sociology, and education. Matthew Riggan, Ph.D., is a Senior Researcher at the Consortium for Policy Research in Education at the University of Pennsylvania, and an Adjunct Assistant Professor in Penn's Graduate School of Education. His current research focuses on formative assessment in elementary mathematics; assessing analytic and problem-solving skills for postsecondary readiness; systemic reform to support science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education; and factors supporting or undermining the scale-up of promising reforms in urban school districts. He teaches courses in qualitative research design, data collection, and analysis, and has worked extensively on developing qualitative and mixed methods approaches to program theory evaluation and analysis of video data. He holds a doctorate in Anthropology and Education from the University of Pennsylvania.
- Author(s)J. Matthew Riggan,Sharon M. Ravitch
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication02/03/2016
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSAGE Publications Inc
- Weight363 g
- Width187 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.99
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.