All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.88
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.80Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.81
About this product
- DescriptionRebellion in Black and White offers a paramic view of southern student activism in the 1960s. Original scholarly essays demonstrate how southern students promoted desegregation, racial equality, free speech, academic freedom, world peace, gender equity, sexual liberation, Black Power, and the personal freedoms associated with the counterculture of the decade. Most accounts of the 1960s student movement and the New Left have been rthern-centered, focusing on rebellions at the University of California, Berkeley, Columbia University, and others. And yet, students at southern colleges and universities also organized and acted to change race and gender relations and to end the Vietnam War. Southern students took longer to rebel due to the south's legacy of segregation, its military tradition, and its Bible Belt convictions, but their efforts were just as effective as those in the rth. Rebellion in Black and White sheds light on higher education, students, culture, and politics of the American south. It is edited by Robert Cohen and David J. Snyder, the book features the work of both seasoned historians and a new generation of scholars offering fresh perspectives on the civil rights movement and many others. Contributors: Dan T. Carter, David T. Farber, Jelani Favors, Wesley Hogan, Christopher A. Huff, Nicholas G. Meriwether, Gregg L. Michel, Kelly Morrow, Doug Rossiw, Cleveland L. Sellers Jr., Gary S. Sprayberry, Marcia G. Syntt, Jeffrey A. Turner, Erica Whittington, Joy Ann Williamson-Lott.
- Author BiographyRobert Cohen is a professor in the Department of Teaching and Learning at New York University. David J. Snyder is an instructor in the Department of History at the University of South Carolina.
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication03/05/2013
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note12, 12 black & white illustrations
- Weight635 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Edited byDavid J. Snyder,Robert Cohen
- Foreword byDan T. Carter
- Interest AgeFrom 13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.