All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.37
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.79
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.04
- AU $46.34Trending at AU $48.02
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $83.85
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.27
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.22
About this product
- DescriptionThe Brazilian Amazon experienced, in the late 1830s, one of Brazil's largest peasant and urban-poor insurrections, kwn as the Cabanagem. Uniquely, rebels succeeded in controlling provincial government and town councils for more than a year. In this first book-length study in English, the rebellion is placed in the context of late colonial and early national society and ecomy. It compares the Cabanagem with contemporaneous Latin American peasant rebellions and challenges to centralized authority in Brazil. Using unpublished documentation, it reveals - contrary to other studies - that insurgents were t seeking revolutionary change or separation from the rest of Brazil. Rather, rebels wanted to promote their vision of a newly independent nation and an end to exploitation by a distant power. The Cabanagem is critical to understanding why the Amazon came to be perceived as a land without history.
- Author BiographyMark Harris is based at the University of St Andrews. He was awarded a British Academy postdoctoral fellowship, 1996-1999, and the Philip Leverhulme Prize in 2004. He is the author of Life on the Amazon: The Anthropology of a Brazilian Peasant Village (2000), editor of Ways of Knowing (2007), and co-editor (with Stephen Nugent) of Some Other Amazonians (2006). He has also taught at the Federal University of Para in Belem, Brazil, and the London School of Economics.
- Author(s)Mark Harris
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication13/09/2010
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleCambridge Latin American Studies
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 95
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note22 b/w illus. 4 maps 7 tables
- Weight610 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine26 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.