All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
About this product
- DescriptionIn Recasting the Past: An Early Modern Tales of Ise for Children Laura Moretti recreates in image and text the unresearched 1766 picture-book Ise furyu: Utagaruta hajimari (The Fashionable Ise: The Origins of Utagaruta). The introduction analyses Utagaruta through a discussion of the textual scholarship relating to chapbooks and kusazoshi. It also contextualizes this work to shed new light on the reception history of the canical Tales of Ise and to position Utagaruta within the realm of children's literature. This is followed by the full transcription and translation of Utagaruta, with antations to each image. Learned and visually rich, Moretti's study permits the reader to enjoy the inventiveness and beauty of early modern Japanese literature.
- Author BiographyLaura Moretti, PhD (2003), is Lecturer in Pre-modern Japanese Studies at the University of Cambridge. She has published numerous articles on Japanese literature in English and Japanese with a research focus on early modern popular prose.
- Author(s)Laura Moretti
- Date of Publication12/12/2016
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLeiden
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Weight569 g
- Width193 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.