All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.18
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.99
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.42
- AU $28.11Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $36.83Trending at AU $37.88
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.28
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.77
About this product
- DescriptionThe theory of General Relativity, after its invention by Albert Einstein, remained for many years a monument of mathemati- cal speculation, striking in its ambition and its formal beauty, but quite separated from the main stream of modern Physics, which had centered, after the early twenties, on quantum mechanics and its applications. In the last ten or fifteen years, however, the situation has changed radically. First, a great deal of significant exper~en- tal data became available. Then important contributions were made to the incorporation of general relativity into the framework of quantum theory. Finally, in the last three years, exciting devel- opments took place which have placed general relativity, and all the concepts behind it, at the center of our understanding of par- ticle physics and quantum field theory. Firstly, this is due to the fact that general relativity is really the original n-abe- lian gauge theory, and that our description of quantum field in- teractions makes extensive use of the concept of gauge invariance. Secondly, the ideas of supersymmetry have enabled theoreticians to combine gravity with other elementary particle interactions, and to construct what is perhaps the first approach to a more finite quantum theory of gravitation, which is kwn as super- gravity.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication18/10/2011
- Series TitleNATO Science Series B
- Series Part/Volume Number44
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight1033 g
- Width170 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Edited byMaurice Levy,S. Deser
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1979
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.