All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $97.42
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the first volume to deal specifically with the quality of subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing (SDH) in Europe, with contributions from the UK, Spain, Italy, Poland, Denmark, France and Germany. Drawing on the results of the EU - funded project DTV4ALL, the book looks at the issue of quality in the reception of SDH in Europe as a combination of three factors: what viewers think about SDH, how they understand these subtitles and how they view them. The viewers' preferences have been obtained through questionnaires and their comprehension has been analysed with tests, involving clips with SDH and questions. The viewers' perception has been measured with eye-tracking techlogy, involving the analysis of 71,070 subtitles in what is so far the largest international eye-tracking study on subtitling. With this research, we have sought to obtain both subjective (preferences) and objective (comprehension and perception) data that can inform national guidelines on SDH. The book also introduces the tion of viewing speed and points to the existence of certain universals of SDH and subtitling that can contribute to advance our understanding of how different types of viewers from different nationalities view, process and understand subtitles as a means to access audiovisual content.
- Author BiographyPablo Romero-Fresco is a Reader in Translation and Filmmaking at the University of Roehampton (London) and Ramon y Cajal grantholder at the Universidade de Vigo (Spain). He is the author of Subtitling through Speech Recognition: Respeaking (2011), Ofcom's external reviewer for the assessment of the quality of live subtitles in the UK, and a member of the UN's ITU Focus Group on Media Accessibility and of the TransMedia Catalonia research group, for which he has coordinated the subtitling research of the EU-funded DTV4ALL project.
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication05/10/2015
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2015
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Content Note152
- Weight550 g
- Width155 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byPablo Romero-Fresco
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.