All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $95.49
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.36
About this product
- DescriptionReckless women inhabit the spaces of these poems: women who dare to travel without maps or even 'a single sign', women who dare the seduction of cliff edge leaps into deadly waters, women who dare the midnight garden to ensure their crop. When Frey considers the pain recklessness causes to others, she returns to the source that impels a reckless nature. There she finds women who challenge the empty spaces of the psychic frontier, women who let themselves be seduced by the vanilla man (or is it the other way around?), female magicians, performing aquabelles, women 'who toss their clothes from the balcony / and have thing to go home in'. She also learns that recklessness is a dangerous game. That's when poetry itself comes to the rescue. When Frey reaches love's end and is herself silenced, the poems speak that silence. When 'cold camphor travels her veins', the poems rant and defy, but they also instruct. They teach her to believe even when belief seems impossible. In the face of death, they speak of love. In despair of life, they assert that the trick is to achieve moments of joy. The female magician's task is to pull off such tricks: lark / from fire / its white wings raised / singing.
- Author BiographyCecelia Frey is the author of three previous poetry books as well as five books of fiction. Her short stories and poetry have been published in dozens of literary journals and anthologies as well as being broadcast on CBC radio and performed on the Women's Television Network. Three times a recipient of the Writer's Guild of Alberta Short Fiction Award, she has also won awards for playwriting. She lives in Calgary with her family.
- Author(s)Cecilia Frey
- PublisherRonsdale Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2004
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationVancouver
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintRonsdale Press
- Weight213 g
- Width228 mm
- Height152 mm
- Spine9 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.