All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA New York Times bestseller, Red is the first book to explore the history of red hair and red-headedness throughout the world. With an obsessive fascination that is as contagious as it is compelling, Jacky Colliss Harvey explores red hair in the ancient world, the prejudice manifested against redheads across medieval Europe, and red hair during the Renaissance as both an indicator of Jewishness and the height of fashion in Protestant England, thanks to Elizabeth I. Colliss Harvey also examines depictions of red hair in art and literature, looks at modern medicine and the genetic decoding of redheads, and considers red hair in contemporary culture, from advertising to 'gingerism' and bullying. More than just a book for redheads, Red is a fascinating social and cultural celebration of a rich and mysterious genetic quirk.
- Author BiographyJacky Colliss Harvey is a writer and editor. She studied English at Cambridge University and History of Art at the Courtauld Institute of Art. She has worked in museum publishing for the last twenty years and is a commentator and reviewer who speaks in both the UK and abroad on the arts and popular culture. Her red hair has also found her an alternative career as a life model and a film extra playing everything from a society lady in Atonement to a Parisian whore in Bel-Ami. She lives in London.
- Author(s)Jacky Colliss Harvey
- PublisherAllen & Unwin
- Date of Publication02/06/2016
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationAuckland, N.Z.
- Country of PublicationNew Zealand
- ImprintAllen & Unwin
- Content Note3 x 8pp colour images
- Weight262 g
- Width131 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edition StatementMain
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.83Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.11
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $84.79
- AU $61.22Trending at AU $69.47
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.12
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $24.54
- AU $37.91Trending at AU $41.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.