All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $13.45Trending at AU $16.56
- AU $12.53Trending at AU $15.80
- AU $10.54Trending at AU $13.65
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $18.91
- AU $5.95Trending at AU $6.02
- AU $7.38Trending at AU $10.71
- AU $11.83Trending at AU $17.52
About this product
- DescriptionNarrated in journal entries from the point of view of a red kt--a robin-sized shore bird that migrates 20,000 miles annually, from the tip of South America to the Arctic Circle and back--this book depicts one such dramatic journey in stunningly detailed colored-pencil illustrations of the flight over the Atlantic Ocean, a landing in Delaware Bay, the rthern nesting grounds, chicks feeding on hatching insects, a close call with an arctic fox, and the return home. At the heart of the story is a message about conservation: the birds stop only a few times as they travel and always in the same coastal areas where dwindling food supplies have caused a precipitous decline in their numbers over the past decade. Science concepts such as animal life cycles, climate, extinction, the food chain, and migration are introduced by information about how bird-banding and protecting the horseshoe crab--whose eggs are a principal food for red kts--can help them survive. A four-page appendix includes a map of the western hemisphere, a range and route map for migrating birds, a glossary, a timeline, and the history and conservation of red kts. This book was the first runner up in the Children's category for the 2007 Eric Hoffer Book Award.
- Author BiographyNancy Carol Willis is the author and illustrator of Raccoon Moon and The Robins in Your Backyard. She lives in Middletown, Delaware.
- Author(s)Nancy Carol Willis
- PublisherBirdsong Books
- Date of Publication01/05/2006
- SubjectChildren's General Interest & Leisure
- Place of PublicationMiddletown
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBirdsong Books
- Content Notecolour illus
- Weight589 g
- Width215 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.