CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.87
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
About this product
- DescriptionSo much begins on the banks of the Nile: all religion, all life, all stories, the script we write in, the language we speak, the gods, the legends and the names of stars. This mighty river that flows through a quarter of all Africa has been history's greatest and most sustained creator. In this dazzling, idiosyncratic journey from ancient times to the Arab Spring, Robert Twigger weaves a Nile narrative like other. Along the way we meet crocodiles and caliphs, nineteenth-century adventurers and twentieth-century velists, biblical prophets and classical lovers, dam-builders and crusaders. As he navigates a meandering course through the history of the world's greatest river, he plucks the most intriguing, colourful and dramatic stories - truly a Nile red in tooth and claw. The result is both an epic journey through the whole sweep of human (and pre-human) history, and an intimate biography of the curious life of this great river, overflowing with stories of excess, love, passion, splendour and violence.
- Author BiographyRobert Twigger is a British author, poet and adventurer. After attending Oxford University he trained with the Tokyo Riot Police, which became the subject of his bestselling book Angry White Pyjamas. He has been awarded the Newdigate Prize for poetry, the Somerset Maugham Award for Literature and the William Hill Sports Book of the Year Award. He led the expedition that was the first to cross the Great Sand Sea of the Egyptian Sahara solely on foot, and another that was the first to cross Western Canada in a birchbark canoe since 1793. He is the author of eight books, both fiction and non-fiction, as well as several collections of poetry.
- Author(s)Robert Twigger
- PublisherOrion Publishing Co
- Date of Publication23/05/2013
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWeidenfeld & Nicolson
- Out-of-print date20/12/2014
- Content NoteIllustrations (black and white, and colour), maps (black and white, and colour)
- Weight782 g
- Width159 mm
- Height239 mm
- Spine39 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.