All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRed grabs your attention. Today we associate red with danger, sex, anger and more, yet the colour was once so significant that things which have a profound impact upon our lives were widely called red, even though they are often t red at all.Spike Bucklow takes us from a 34,000-year-old shaman burial dress to the iPhone screen, exploring the myriad of purposes we have put red to as well as the materials from which it comes. The pursuit of the colour drove medieval alchemy and modern chemistry alike, and red has been found in insects, tree resins, tar, earths and excitable gases. It is associated with earth, blood and fire, with the holy, with national flags and powerful ideologies.Red is a material and cultural history that makes one see this colour afresh, a crucial part of the human visual world.
- Author BiographySpike Bucklow is Senior Research Scientist at the Hamilton Kerr Institute, University of Cambridge. His other publications include The Alchemy of Paint (2009) and The Riddle of the Image: The Secret Science of Medieval Art (Reaktion, 2014), which won the ACE/Mercers' International Book Award 2015.
- Author(s)Spike Bucklow
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication01/06/2016
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Content Note100 colour illustrations
- Weight771 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $34.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.42
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.